We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. — Walt Disney
There are so many great lessons we all learn from life. These lessons have helped our members become the band we are today. Reading about other peoples’ experiences and lessons in life can give you a better understanding of how you can choose to live your life – what doors you should walk through.
To really appreciate the value these lessons can bring to your life, you need to experience life and embrace the challenges life throws at you, make mistakes, fail, and bounce back. It is these life lessons you learn from– all of your experiences which will have the most impact.
So get ready, be open and look forward to passing more life tests and learning more life lessons.
- Find three hobbies you love: one to make you money, one to keep you in shape, and one to be creative. There are many things in our lives that we have to do, even though we may not want to do it. The trick to managing these aspects of our life is to have activities in our life that we actually enjoy and love doing. It is all about keeping perspective and balance in your life. Health, wealth and happiness are the key ingredients to living a life you love and when you have activities in your life that bring you all three, then you are definitely living a life you love.
- Over thinking ruins you. Ruins the situation, twists things around, makes you worry and just makes everything much worse than it actually is. “Paralysis by analysis” is defined in Wikipedia as: “the state of over-analyzing (or over-thinking) a situation so that a decision or action is never taken, in effect paralyzing the outcome.” The result is that because decisions are never made opportunities are lost. Don’t spend too much time analyzing whether you should or shouldn’t act on an opportunity, or step out of your comfort zone to change your life. Manage your risk, listen to your intuition, find your courage and take action.
- Practice like you’ve never won. Perform like you’ve never lost. This life lesson is all about self belief and having a positive attitude in life. Self belief and a positive attitude are the key ingredients to living a successful and fulfilled life.
- Whoever is trying to bring you down is already below you. Have you ever felt fearful about what others think or say about you? If you seek validation from others before you make a decision or take action, then you will never truly be your own person. If people are speaking unkindly about you, ignore it because the comments they make aren’t really about you, your value or self worth. You don’t need other people to validate you, you are already valuable. When you find your courage and step out of your comfort zone to take positive action in your life, there will be people who will support you, ignore you, reject you and disagree with you – and that’s okay. Focus on those who are supporting and encouraging you to be courageous and to be different.
- Listen carefully to how a person speaks about others to you. This is how they will speak about you to other people. This lesson is all about being self aware and surrounding yourself with the right people. Those who support and encourage you, will speak their truth to you and to others with integrity and respect. If you are surrounded by people who are only massaging your ego and speaking ill of others, then that is a sure sign that they will be saying very similar things about you behind your back. Managing your ego is key to learning this lesson as it is your ego that will allow you to have these negative and untrustworthy people in your life.
- Two things to remember in life — take care of your thoughts when you are alone, and take care of your words when you are with people. Negative self talk is not going to get you anywhere. If you listen to the negativity in your head, then it will definitely creep into the language you use to communicate with others – particularly in difficult and trying situations. Your negative thoughts without a doubt will influence your relationships. A positive attitude creates positive thoughts which results in positive relationships – even in the tough times!
- You should always be learning, if you’re the smartest person in the room you’re in the wrong place. Become a student of life rather than a person who knows everything. Life lessons can only be learnt the hard way – there is no other way. Embrace the joy of learning new things and stepping into the unknown. There is no joy and there no lessons to be learnt when you know everything there is to know. It is a safe and incredibly boring way to live your life.
- Never lose yourself while trying to hold on to someone who doesn’t care about losing you. This is a tough life lesson because it is all about understanding the emotions that come with being in love. For some people it takes many times of falling in and out of love before the lesson of “staying true to you,” is learnt. This lesson is also about being self aware and keeping your relationship in perspective. There will always be signs that the person you love may not love you as much. What often happens is that our love blinds us and we choose to ignore these signs. Stay true to you and don’t hand your power over to those people who don’t care for you.
- Stop focusing on how stressed you are and remember how blessed you are. Stress kills. Deal with whatever it is in your life that is creating bad stress. Practise appreciation and gratitude on a daily basis. It is appreciation and gratitude that provides the energy source for you to live an abundant and fulfilled life. Stress will not provide you with abundance and fulfillment in your life.
- While some see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to thing they can change the world, are the ones who do. Dream big, think big; be courageous and believe in you. Surround yourself with people who support, encourage and believe in you – don’t worry about those who reject you or dismiss you. Embrace failure and learn from your mistakes. Accept that the lessons in life are only going to be learnt the hard way and there is no easy way to live a full and abundant life. Become a champion of change and go make a difference in the world.
Raleigh’s Wake and District Public Safety Pipes and Drums currently has 70+ members who come from all walks of life and bring an indeterminate amount of experience with them. Our members are police officers, lawyers, engineers, students, machinists, Doctors to name but a few and all are tremendous individuals who share the common goal of being a successful and competitive pipe band. The band continues to exist thanks to the ongoing support of the public safety professionals throughout the Raleigh region; we are proud of our long history with them. Each year the band participates in a number of events on behalf of the the Public Safety Services. These events include recruit graduation ceremonies, awards and promotion ceremonies and community events, however none are more important then our participation in the North Carolina Fallen Firefighters Foundation march and memorial each spring. These kinds of events pay tribute to public safety professionals who have given their lives in service to others.
OPEN A NEW DOOR.
Every time we are out we learn, gain confidence and are starting to define our “sound character”. We field 3 competition groups; Grades 5, 4 and 3. Our competition program is under the direction of Pipe Major Ken McKeveny and drumming instructor Tom Foote; both professional level players and EUSPBA judges. We are always seeking musicians who can contribute at these levels — and who are prepared to make a commitment to the band on and off the field. If you are interested in becoming a part of our program — tell us, ask us questions. Music is currently available upon request. If you wish to become a part of our group – do not hesitate to contact us. Local and traveling players welcome…
Powered by Facebook Comments